It is the newest and the most modern museum of the island (open for the public since 2010). The museum houses various selected finds from excavations of this area, as well as rich printed and electronic material about the Citadel of Agios Andreas and the rest of the island (Sifnos’ ancient city of Kastro, Sifnos mines, ancient towers) from the prehistoric times to the late antiquity.
The archaeological site on the hill of Agios Andreas, with an Acropolis dating from the 13th century BC and a small modern museum, was presented with an award in 2012 by the organization EUROPA NOSTRA for its exemplary maintenance and presentation of findings «as an excellent example of the preservation of our cultural heritage».
It has been constructed by the Archeological Service in the 70s, in a site donated by the Sifnian professor G. Maridakis and it is housed in a two-storey building. It has been restored by the Ministry of Culture in the beginning of the 80s and it has been open since 1980. Its collections include finds from various areas of the island such as: Sculptures (tomb items, statues, architectural parts etc.) dating from the archaic to the roman period (6th century B.C. – 1st century B.C), ceramics from Kastro from the geometric age to the Hellenistic period (8th century B.C. – 2ndcentury B.C.) and coins. Among its most famous exhibited articles are: the crown of a marble stele, decorated with anthemia (4th century B.C.), the head of a marble statue of a woman (4th century B.C.) the head of a marble kouros (middle of the 6th century B.C.), the marble Ionic capital (6th century B.C.), the marble stele (Hellenistic period).
It is situated in Apollonia (on the Heroes Monument) and it houses articles from the traditional life of the island, such as agricultural tools, domestic articles, local costumes etc. Among its most important exhibited articles are: a collection of swords and riffles, the collection of old costumes, woodcarvings & trunks, broideries and laces, utensils (among them, there are spoons & knives from Constantinople), agricultural utensils, gardening tools, apiculture, agriculture and pottery items, busts of Sifnian personalities, records of sifnian newspapers: “Sifnos” (the most ancient newspaper of the Cyclades and of Greece – establishment date: 1880) “Sifnian News” and “Sifnian Voice” (1965-1986).
It is an old sifnian house built according to the traditional architecture and it has the same form as most of the sifnian houses of the old times, with traditional furniture, embroideries, framed pictures, gravures and lithographs, mirrors, opal lamps, earthen utensils, a sewing machine, a gramophone dating back to 1900, a cradle dating back to 1880 from Constantinople, an étagère dating back to 1880, kerchiefs and trays from Constantinople, traditional costumes, a radio dating from the Interwar period, old newspapers, marriage contracts etc. Here you can also find personal and official documents of the poet Ioannis Gryparis from Artemonas and his couch.
It is a “Study on the Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Sifnos”, housed in the monastery of the Virgin Mary of Vrissi (or Panagia Vrissiani). Here, you can find manuscripts, parchments with codes, copies of old editions, a Gospel dating back to reliquaries, cherubim banners, holy utensils, vestments, icons, the embroidered cope of Kassiani etc.
The historical monastery of Firogia which has been restored in the beginning of the 70s has been housing during the last decades, during the summer, exhibitions of Sifnian artists and potters. Nowadays, the monastery houses the “Small Museum of Modern Pottery” which includes the representation of a traditional pottery, two of the oldest exhibitions of the Potters’ Association of Sifnos and the Collection of Handmade Ceramics of Kosmas Xenakis.